What results can I expect from PRP treatments?
Improvement of skin, texture and tone is noticeable within three weeks. Full collagen regeneration takes up to 3 months. Reduction in hair loss is noticeable within 8 weeks. In most cases, hair regrowth is seen 3-6 months after the last treatment. Results will vary from person to person during the consultation, we will examine your area of concern and taking into account your medication history, lifestyle and expected results for your client journey will be discussed thoroughly.
There are some special growth factors found in platelets (PRP growth factors) that are beneficial for the regeneration of tissue, particularly skin. There are about 30 known growth factors in platelets, but the main five that we take advantage of are:
- Epidermal growth factor (EGF) – ‘epidermal’ means the outer layer of skin cells and EGF stimulates cell growth and helps repair tissue.
- Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) – makes new blood vessels. Promotes angiogenesis.
- Fibroblast growth factor (FGF) – fibroblasts are skin cells, so FGF encourages cells to multiply and turn into specialised cells, and supports wound healing.
- Platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) – encourages new blood vessels to develop they are a family of peptides associated with formation of connective tissues, glial and muscle cells.
- TGF Transforming growth factor promotes formation of extracellular matrix.
How well do PRP and PRP growth factors work?
PRP is a relatively new cosmetic treatment that is still undergoing rigorous scientific study however initial studies on PRP and PRP growth factors have proved very promising. PRP therapy was developed in the 1970s it has been used in dermatology, plastic surgery, and aesthetic medicine, wound care, orthopaedics, trauma surgery, several forms of alopecia, acne scars, post-laser skin treatments and many more all reported positive aesthetic outcomes with PRP injections, with the most popular for skin rejuvenation reported benefits being:
- Increases in volume (creates more youthful-looking face)
- Improvements in texture (smoother skin)
- Improved tone (reduces redness blotchiness)
- Decreased appearance of wrinkles
- Improvements in the appearance of facial acne, scaring and acne rosacea
- Skin disorders like Lichen Sclerosis
- Under eye treatments for dark circles and under eye pigmentation.
- Increased hair growth after hair loss.
Because PRP treatments are so low-risk, adverse side-effects are rare and the safety profile is excellent. The natural healing power of PRP and PRP growth factors to improve the appearance and overall health of skin without the risks.